By Andrea Zeelie-Varga
Parent Action on Drugs and CAMH Health Promotion Resource Centre collaborated with HC Link on an online learning series, Family-based Approaches for Building Resiliency in Children and Youth.
In webinar one, we introduced and defined family-based/ family skills programming, looking at definitions, concepts of resiliency and risk and protective factors, as well as outcomes. Webinar one introduced best practices guidelines for family skills programs from Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse and United Nations. The webinar also cited Strengthening Families for the Future, Strengthening Families for Parents and Youth, Stop Now and Plan, Multisystemic Therapy, Triple P Parenting Program and The Incredible Years as examples.
The webinar also took an in depth look at the principles for implementing and delivering family-based programs:
Webinar two gave a brief overview of the principles, and honed in on the last two guidelines, before exploring some learning from the field with three guest presenters:
- MaryLynn Reddon-D'Arcy, from Centre for Addiction and Mental Health's Child, Youth and Family Program presented her experience with Incredible Years Parenting Program and the Dinosaur Social Skills Program.
- Megan Dumais, Manager of the Family Health Team at the Sudbury & District Health Unit, gave an overview of their community-based parenting model in the Sudbury and Manitoulin Districts with the Triple P Parenting Program.
- Kerri Kightley, Manager of The Peterborough Drug Strategy, shared her experiences with Strengthening Families for Parents and Youth in both country and city settings.
The presenters then engaged in a discussion panel, looking at some of the challenges of implementation and the need for adaptation. To hear the presenters' experiences with their respective programs (and to listen to the lively panel discussion!) view the recording below.
Twitter Chat Recap:
- Opening slides and panel questions
- MaryLynn Reddon-D'Arcy's Slides
- Megan Dumais's Slides
- Kerri Kightley's Slides
- Presenter Bios