Blog

Welcome to HC Link's blog! Our blog will provide you with useful information on healthy community topics, news, and resources, as well as information on HC Link’s events, activities, and resources. Our bloggers include HC Link staff and consultants, as well as our partnering organizations, clients, and experts in the health promotion field.

Please note: opinions in posts are those of the author and are not necessarily the opinions of HC Link or our funder.

We look forward to engaging in thought-provoking conversation with you!

To view past blogs, please click on the home icon below left.

CAMH Health Promotion Resource Centre Launches Website & New Resources!

By Linda Yoo, CAMH Health Promotion Resource Centre

The CAMH Health Promotion Resource Centre is pleased to announce the launch of its NEW website on CAMH's Portico network! Here, you can look up past and upcoming webinars including recordings and PowerPoint slides, our research reports as well as infographics and toolkits.

MH PostcardOne new resource is the What is Mental Health postcard. This postcard provides a snapshot of various definitions and descriptions of what mental health is and what it looks like. For instance, it states that mental health is more than the absence of a mental illness. It is a positive concept that is distinct from, although related to, mental illness. Mental health is a resource to help individuals cope with stressors and reach their goals. Ultimately, mental health is a component of overall health so there is no health without mental health.

infographic 1in5Another exciting, new resource from the CAMH Health Promotion Resource Centre is the population mental health infographic. This poster outlines the importance of promoting mental health across the entire population, from individuals who have no identified mental illness to those with an identified mental illness and requiring treatment. It reminds us of the importance to broaden our lens beyond the 1 in 5 or 20% of the population who will experience mental illness in any given year to the other 80% of the population. The 80% may not be experiencing a mental illness but that does not necessarily mean they are doing well mentally. It also underscores that mental health promotion approaches benefit ALL people, even those experiencing mental illness.

The poster also highlights that there are unique factors that put individuals at risk of, or protect them from mental illness at various stages of life. So a population mental health approach also promotes mental health across the lifespan as it aims to increase protective factors at every stage of life. Increasing protective factors means addressing the various social determinants of health and inequities.

To support health promotion and public health professionals working in Ontario in the area of mental health promotion and substance use, a limited number of hard copies of our resources are available by request. Please send your name, work address and sector to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and we will try our best to meet your request.

The CAMH Health Promotion Resource Centre is funded by the Health Promotion Division of the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.

Webinar Recap: Working with Elected Officials: Too...
Questions people are asking about social media

Comments

 
No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment